Thursday 27 March 2014

Miracles happen! A dose of hope to get you by

(Image from weheartit.com)

You know how you read of people getting their groceries paid by the incredibly generous person in-front of them or about how a kind hearted man paid off a couples mortgage. Even someone receiving a free car just because they were really struggling and couldn't afford one. Almost seems like a fairytale... right?
Well, something that amazing happened to me.
A couple weeks ago I was having one of those really dull periods in my life, more like years actually.
One good thing would happen and then something doubly aweful would come along straight after.. I could write a list of everything that happened, but this post would probably be about fifteen pages long and one massive pity party (of one).
Basically I was feeling like nothing could go right for me and I had given up hope.
It was two weeks before I was about to start University as a first year student. I was totally prepared, had my laptop, books, pens, everything I needed. What could possibly go wrong? .... 

One night I was using my laptop and a tiny green dot appeared on the bottom right corner of the screen. I thought weird, that's never been there before. Just as I thought that, the entire screen was covered in them and having a massive spaz attack which ended in the entire screen turning white and me closing my laptop and running into the living room where my family was, thinking I was about to be part of a supernatural episode.

I called Apple's service line the next day to ask if they knew what was wrong and if it could be fixed. I spoke to a really nice guy on the other line and he told me it sounded like the graphics board was warn out (I think that's what he said, although I have the I.T ability of a block of cheese) and would probably cost around seven hundred dollars to fix considering it was no longer covered by warranty. I started to panic. Not only was my laptop probably not even worth that amount of money any more since it is an older model, I was saving to buy something I really wanted for an annoying amount of time (a motorbike ahem). He then asked me what I was studying and If I could afford to do the repairs on it. I told him I would be able to but It was a bit of a pain, considering I was saving the money.

I booked my computer In to be fixed at my local Apple store and dropped it off. Three days later I got a phone call telling me it was ready to be picked up and paid for.
I went in, had my debit card ready to pay, my laptop was handed back to me and I went to give my card over and the guy helping me said "No, you don't need to pay, it's already paid for".   "oh ok... wait... what?"
I asked him if he was sure twice and each time he confirmed and said "Yep, it says on here that it's already been paid. Either that or it's covered by consumer warranty" My Mum who was standing near me at the time, looked puzzled and went to ask the guy something. I knew any more questioning would lead to an investigation (too much ncis? Guilty.) I blocked her "Don't question it Mum, accept it, let's go, double time!" I thanked him, probably too many times, took my laptop and we legged it out of the store just incase he changed his mind.

Afterwards I started to wonder... who paid for it or marked it under consumer warranty? Was it the guy on the phone? The guy who helped me who must have an incredible poker face, apple inc? or was it just a random do-gooder?

Either way, whoever it was is an amazing person and made my day... week.. year a whole lot brighter and restored part of my hope. I'm hoping to continue posting these doses of hope in the coming months to restore a bit of your hope and inspire you. ( I feel like I've said hope too many times....   hope.) Do you have a story of hope to report?

Infinite x's and o's

Elena





5 comments:

  1. Wow! Someone has an anonymous stalker ...or a secret guy who knows everything about you.. just kidding! It'a a funny story with one incredible ending, never happened to me but I am preparing for the that moment, to feel thankful and hopeful!
    www.coolallure.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I had that thought for a moment! Absolutely, something amazing always happens at the most unexpected moment :) xx

      Delete
  2. Nice story!!
    I have open my Facebook page…would you like to follow each other on facebook too?Follow me and I follow you back

    Xoxo Francesca
    MAISON DU PARFUM
    MAISON DU PARFUM FACEBOOK

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so sweet. I'm glad someone helped you out. Sometimes we need to be the one helping, other times we just need to appreciate the help we receive. Great blog post.
    Bright and Shiny

    ReplyDelete